Eleodes - The beetle friends

A darkling beetle!


The darkling beetles (genus Eleodes) are fun beetles. The are big and black and can often be found wandering around in desert environments. You probably won't see them much during the day, but starting around dusk they will be more active.

I found this particular beetle while camping in Fillmore, UT. It wandered into our camp and I immediately grabbed my camera. I'm still working on learning how to use my flash, so for this picture I actually set up my phone and some flashlights around the beetle for my light source. My wife captured the following picture of my setup.

Maybe I should learn how to use my flash better so that I don't have to position so many lights around bugs!


After I took these pictures, I learned that the posture the beetle assumed was a defensive tactic and that if further provoked, it might have sprayed me with a smelly liquid! I'm glad this one was at least a little friendly and let me snap a few pictures.

Looking at the beetle head-on.

Comments

We're on Instagram!

Follow us on Facebook!

Check us out on Facebook for more fun facts, pictures, and articles about bugs! We are always posting and sharing content!

Popular posts from this blog

The Green Lynx Spider

Ladybugs and metamorphosis

Trashline Orb Weavers